Saturday, December 15, 2012

Front wheel bearing housing : part 3

The drilling and the tapping of the holes for the bolts to clamp the halves of each bearing housing together went like a dream.
First, holes of 5 mm were drilled in one half. With a transfer punch, the exact position for the holes in the other halve were being defined. The other half was drilled with 6.5 mm to allow a bit of play.
Finally, the holes of 5 mm were threaded with M6 thread.
Result:

This reminds me to make some more transfer punches in a dead moment. The one I used, I quickly fabricated from a piece of 5 mm diameter tool steel. I just turned a little point at the end with the lathe, but didn't harden it because I wanted to get on.
Using tool steel to make ones own tools is very satisfactory. After making with it whatever it is you want to make, you can easily harden it so it gets very durable.

No comments:

Post a Comment