Monday, January 28, 2013

Bigwheel rim!

Finally! The task I thought the most difficult of this project has just been finished: it took two hours and 4 grinding disks, but the bigwheel rim is done!


As with the small wheel, the result is quite satisfactory! Some deburring, but nothing to worry about.
For people trying to use this technique to cut a rim, I have the advice to leave some material at regular intervals when cutting the second side of the rim. I noticed that due to tensions on the wheel, it could be that the cut 'collapses'. So if you don't cut the rim completely through every 50 cm or so, this is a good way of anticipating this problem. You can carefully cut the reminding material at the end.

Recently I'm having doubts with the hubs. Not only am I a bit suspicious about the material (aluminium), I also don't know yet how to attach the hubs to a central axle. The axle must be aluminium too, but I would like to stay with steel. I have some idea's developing in the back of my mind. More on this later.
Time to sit back and enjoy the result so far... with a glass of whisky!

No comments:

Post a Comment