Monday, January 21, 2013

Rear wheel rim holes

After using a punch to mark the hole position, I started drilling the holes for the nipples that hold the spokes:

I drilled with a drill of 5mm, but this will be drilled to a bigger hole later on. The nipples will be made of M5 stainless bolts with a flat head. I will buy these very soon.
The rear wheel will have 20 spokes, the big wheel 60 so 80 spokes and nipples in total. I will order a special machine cutter to thread the holes in these nipples so I can cut the thread with one go on my lathe. Doing this by hand would take me forever and a day.
Problem is that my regular shop where I buy my tools is having problems with their supplier so there is a delivery backlog at the moment. I'm still waiting on a chamfer tool for stainless.

No comments:

Post a Comment