Sunday, April 21, 2013

Rear fork - part 1

I haven't mentioned this yet, but I was able to salvage a fork from a vintage bike I had lying around. It was beyond repair - at least for me - so I decided to recycle the front fork, to serve as rear fork for my ordinary bicycle.


I was thinking how to adapt the fork for my needs: since the rear wheel of my ordinary bicycle is considerable smaller, the fork legs need to be adjusted:


The solution I see the most is to simply cut off the fork legs and re-attach the flanges that hold the axle for the rear wheel. Since I like the curve in the rear fork, I would like to see that on my bicycle, so I will try to figure out another way of doing this...

6 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Hi Izdihër! thanks for your compliment. I've been missing a lot of steps lately: I really should keep my camera close by when working in my workshop so I can describe my project steps more in detail!
      Cheers,
      Filip

      Delete
    2. Looks like that will make a nice rear fork for the penny farthing, but if you want to keep the curve you will need to cut the forks further up the legs and make a metal joiner that can fit inside then weld it all together. Take a look at my blog as my forks turned out really nice by re cycling some old front forks. Cheers Don

      Delete
    3. Hi Don,
      Thanks for the tip. Your rear forks look nice indeed!
      Did you make the metal joiner for fork leg alignment or to give the forks more stability? I made a kind of 'jig' to hold the fork legs in position after cutting.
      Cheers,
      Filip

      Delete
  2. Hi Filip

    Looking good so far. My rear forks were old 700c road bike forks which are narrow for a 700 x 25c tyre ( perfect for 3/4 inch solid tyre ) , you do not need wide rear forks so that is why I used the 700c road forks instead of anything wider. I just checked the photo of the forks I made and I just butted the lower legs into the top portion and then welded them up and later cleaned them off with the power file so they look like correct. You may want to try are narrow unicrown road fork instead as it will look nicer with the narrow tyre !.

    Keep up the great work

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Don,
      You're right: forks with a narrow end are more suitable, but I couldn't really pick from a 'pile' of forks.
      Did you actually order the forks somewhere or did you just go on a search for a secondhand in nearby bicycle shops?
      Cheers,
      Filip

      Delete