Monday, May 20, 2013

Tyre has arrived!

After a week of mental en physical enrichment in Dijon, France, I'm back into the penny farthing project!
I met my good friend Rob in Dijon who brought me my tyre from the UK. He had some trouble having to explain to customs why he had a solid rubber hose in his luggage, but fortunately they didn't confiscate it.
Needless to say, I'm grateful Rob took the effort carrying this 10kg package halfway around Europe for me!


Also, while I was in France, The welder took care of the front and rear forks. They look great and I won't have a lot of cleaning work on them.


I started trueing the big wheel and it actually went great! I could true the wheel in half an hour or so with a piece of tube I used to keep the rim in the middle of the forks and then loosing or fastening the spoke nipples accordingly.
I also cut the backbone almost to final size. I noticed that it could do with a little improvement: the curve of the backbone is a little too big to match the big wheel curve so I will take it to the mechanic for an additional bending before I start with the final cutting and welding.
Some small parts have been finished too: all rear wheel parts like axle, spacers and nuts have been finished.

Next I will be finishing the handle bar setup and the steering connection between fork and backbone.




No comments:

Post a Comment