Thursday, November 14, 2013

Tip 3: use spokes with a 90° bend at the end

My first big front wheel concept was made with just straight spokes with a nut on one end and a 'nipple' on the rim side to put tension on the spoke. During the time I rode the bike with this configuration, I had broken spokes at the hub side every time, which frustrated me. There was no way I could undertake big trips with this kind of unreliable setup. Since the spokes tend to break at the hub side and not on the rim side, I decided to change my front hub. I also bought 'regular' 90° bend bicycle spokes of the 11G-type which have a shaft diameter of 2.9mm.
Since the use of this new type of spoke setup, I've had no broken spokes anymore so far.
Also, if you think about it, it is much more straight forward to tighten the spokes, since the hub side of the spoke has a 90° bend.

Another thing I experienced with straight spokes is that the wheel can suddenly 'jump' of out shape and leave you with the number 8 instead of a nice and round number 0 wheel. Normally you can push the wheel back in shape, but this is stressful since it can happen if you push too hard on one pedal for example when driving up hill.
This is also the reason I used a 3X cross pattern to weave my spokes for more strength and stability.
So, actually two lessons learned in this case.


No comments:

Post a Comment