Friday, November 16, 2012

Big wheel

The most crucial part of a penny farthing bicycle is the front wheel.
A logical technical solution to produce a front wheel rim yourself is to start out with a tube which is rolled in a circle and welded together at the ends.
Since I don't have this equipment at home, I contacted someone who knows a guy with this kind of machinery. This person I contacted had experience with building his own recumbent bike and he suggested I make the rim out of stainless steel due to its mechanical properties. Since I was going to make the spokes out of stainless and the hub out of aluminium, this should present no significant problems as to alloy combinations. You should never combine normal steel with stainless, because this will cause corrosion because of the galvanic difference.
Rim construction will hopefully be done next week and will cost about 150€. Once I have the rim, I can start looking for the appropriate tire, calculate the exact fork size, etc.
The rim size has been calculated at 140cm diameter or roughly 54 inch.

1 comment:

  1. Hi , I'm building a penny farthing , you have the cad drawing, would you do me the favor to send them to me . gerdre(at)gmail.com
    From already thank you very much .
    Sincerely

    ReplyDelete