Sunday, February 10, 2013

Bigwheel hub

As I said: I figured out a new bigwheel hub concept. I finished the rough idea on my lathe today:

This picture shows an almost finished hub half.


The axle of 10 mm is just a temporary solution to keep the inner faces of the hub halfs parallel to each other. An important thing to keep in mind if I don't want any trouble with fitting the spokes later on.  A tube will be welded in between these hubs later on.
The axle that will be used will be 20 mm diameter.

I had some trouble welding the rings to the plates because I don't have a MIG welding device so I just spot welded them to keep everything in place. I might decide to ask a professional welder to do the complete welding for me so I'm sure it will be a good weld.
After this part will be completely finished, I plan on nickle-plating it. Nice and shiny hubs are a great contrast with the black parts of the bike. Other nickle plated parts will be the handle bars and the cranks.

No comments:

Post a Comment