Tuesday, February 5, 2013

New hub concept

I wasn't quite happy with the hub concept, so I changed it. This time no aluminium involved.
The idea is to weld a ring to a plate and drill 30 holes in the ring to allow the spokes to penetrate. The spokes will be kept in place with nuts.
I started turning the rings tonight:
It will be quite some work: after turning the rings, I have to weld them to a plate, turn the outside of this assembly so it is smooth, turn the inside of the ring to a certain angle, lay out the hole pattern, drill the holes, and put a hollow tube in between the hubs that will accept the axle.
Since everything is made out of steel now, I will be able to nickle the parts for a nice vintage shine!

A quick simulation of the work to be done:
Like I said before, making drawings is a great way to simulate the actual concept. I was able to calculate exact spoke length: 644 mm.
By the way: I ordered 65 front wheel spokes and 25 rear wheel spokes today, together with the little M3 nuts to keep the spokes in place.

No comments:

Post a Comment